Friday, September 21, 2007

Bill Maher: breastfeeding is like masturbation




This didn't make me angry, it made me really sad. You can watch the segment from Bill Maher's HBO special on youtube but here are the highlights to save you time, Bill Maher says:

"I'm not trying to be insensitive, your baby needs to eat, but so do I. If I'm at Applebee's, I'm already a little nauseous. Let's not add to it!"

"Breastfeeding a baby is an intimate act and I don't want to watch strangers performing an intimate act...unless I'm paying for it."

"it's natural" is wrong because, hey, "so is masturbating".

"There's no important principle at work here other than being too lazy to plan ahead or cover up."

"It's not fighting for a right, it's fighting for the spotlight. When you go all Janet Jackson on everyone and get to drink in the "oohs" and "ahhs" from other customers because you made a baby. Something a DOG can do."

"This isn't about women taking their breasts out in public, as much as I like that. It's about how petty and parochial our causes have become. How activism has become narcissism."

"There is a place where breasts and food go together...it's called Hooters."

"Next thing you know women will want to be giving birth at the waterfall at the mall!"

He also incorrectly states that the Applebees nurse-in was the first ever nurse-in.


Several of these comments hit me where it hurt. Particularly that I'm doing something a dog can do. I'm wondering why he feels so hateful to women and mothers. 2 points for misogyny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what's that's some insensitive shit! i've been syndicating your journal over at livejournal if you haven't noticed yet...

-stalk_her